The latest local sports news.
The latest local sports news.

Neil Johnson rounds up this week’s action...

Sharman Burgess Sports Cup

Old Leake were always second best in Thursday’s Sharman Burgess Sports Cup final as they found Wyberton too hot to handle throughout.

With striker Adam Tempest missing through illness and fellow-striker Scott Mackay being forced to slot in at the centre of their defence, Old Leake found themselves on the back foot from the kick-off as Wyberton set off at a blistering pace.

Striker Nicky Syndercombe could easily have scored twice in the opening minutes and the same player then missed a good chance when the ball fell invitingly for him in the box, but they didn’t have to wait long to find a breakthrough.

After 11 minutes striker Shane Brackenbury burst clean through before rounding the keeper and rolling the ball home.

It was 2-0 10 minutes before the break when Brackenbury turned provider as his left wing cross was swept home by Tyrone Chase.

Chase almost made it 3-0 when he broke clear and waltzed round the goalkeeper but his shot was superbly cleared off the line.

Old Leake offered little at the other end and it was left to Scott Mackay to try his luck from long range but Scott Williams gathered up the shot without any trouble.

Leake striker Adam Abell then bustled his way in from the left but he also directed his shot straight at Williams.

Brackenbury then forced a good save from Mitch Griffiths when Syndercombe provided the opening and, just before the break, Old Leake defender Pete Sampson ventured forward to fire in a shot from distance which flashed wide before Wyberton went straight back down at the other end to score a third and put the result beyond doubt.

Syndercombe turned smartly in the box before firing his shot into the top left hand corner to make it 3-0.

On the hour mark Pete Sampson went close for Old Leake when he forced Scott Williams into a smart save before Wyberton made it 4-0 two minutes later.

Reece Beauchamp fired in a low cross from the left wing and Brackenbury slid in to claim his second goal of the game.

Andrew Pears presented the trophies to the match officials and the two teams with the man of the match award going to Brackenbury.

Taylors Garages Premier Division

Old Leake bounced back from their Sports Cup final defeat with a 3-0 Premier Division derby success over a Benington side rocked by a number of late player withdrawals.

The visitors had four players pull out on the day of the game and took to the field with just the bare starting XI which included manager Jim Bedford in goal.

Old Leake too were forced into several changes and were forced to place defender Pete Sampson in goal.

Benington suffered a further setback when Kieran Gatenby was forced off injured, leaving the hosts with just 10 men.

Old Leake took full advantage as a brace from Adam Abell gave them a 2-0 half-time interval lead.

Benington continued to battle after the break, but were forced to play the final 20minutes with just nine men when injury curtailed Dan Holland’s involvement.

Adam Tempest added a late third for the hosts before Old Leake manager Craig Reeson entered the fray only to be denied a rare goal by a superb finger-tip save from Bedford in the last minute.

Swineshead Institute had a comfortable home win when Heckington Millers were the visitors.

Rob Masters (two), Cameron Walker, Kieran Rose and Mark Sharman all scored in a 5-0 home win.

Kirton Town fell to a 2-1 home defeat at the hands of Heckington Millers in midweek despite taking the lead through Chris Hilton.

Champions Wyberton Reserves were held to a 2-2 draw at home by Skegness Town Reserves.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

Friskney scored a last-minute equaliser to deny Freiston an away win.

Perrie Dale had given Freiston the lead and the same player went desperately close to securing victory when his shot struck an upright.

The game appeared to be drifting away from Friskney as the game entered time added on - but Victor Sibert popped up with a last-gasp equaliser to make the final score 1-1.

Taylors Ford Division Two

Coningsby Reserves enjoyed a fine midweek away win at Sibsey when goals from Shaun Taylor and Danny Cottingham secured a 2-0 victory.

Sibsey bounced back four days later when they hit three goals away from home at Pointon Reserves.

Joe Davies was on the score-sheet for Pointon but it wasn’t enough to deny the visitors a hard-earned 3-1 victory.

The league’s two highest scoring teams clashed last Saturday when champions Railway Athletic suffered a 3-2 home defeat when Kirton Town Reserves finished their season on a high.

Liam Nimmo and Jak Stephenson were on target for Railway but there was no denying Town who took the three points with three replies.

Holbeach Bank failed to fulfil their final fixture at Coningsby Reserves due to a lack of players.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

Northgate Olympic completed their debut season with a fine 2-1 away win at Wyberton A thanks to goals from Kevin Lloyd and Rob Spencer.