Matty Hood reduced Benington' deficit.
Matty Hood reduced Benington' deficit.

Neil Johnson rounds up the latest Boston Saturday League and cup action...

Sharman Burgess Sports Cup

Benington were beaten for the third time this season by Skegness Town Reserves, who ran out 2-1 winners in their Sports Cup quarter-final clash at Burgh Road.

The visitors suffered an early setback when Danny Maddison was forced off injured after turning his ankle on a difficult playing surface and Skegness took full advantage to go ahead through Damian Howland’s back-post finish.

Benington dominated large parts of the contest but were caught on the break early in the second half when Josh Whittam latched onto a long ball to fire home.

Matthew Hood halved the deficit with a low drive which squirmed under the home goalkeeper, but an equaliser proved elusive despite Benington’s late surge.

Old Leake produced a disciplined performance to see off the challenge of a below par Leverton side.

Leverton struggled early on as the Premier side started strongly and they went close when they had a shot cleared off the line by Joe Money.

Adam Tempest fired home the opener after 10 minutes with a free-kick from the edge of the area.

James Brader also went close to extending their lead but his cross-cum-shot struck the top of the crossbar.

A mix-up in the Leverton defence allowed substitute Adam Abell to take advantage of the error by toe poking home the loose ball to make it 2-0 after 65 minutes.

Old Leake then had to defend stubbornly as the visitors poured forward, but the woodwork and goalkeeper, Mitch Griffiths prevented them getting back into the game until the final minutes when a penalty was awarded.

Griffiths was probably lucky to remain on the pitch after flooring Joe Wood as the striker went to pounce on a loose ball, but the referee just pointed to the spot and Nathan Rippin smashed home the spot-kick to set up a tense finale.

Leake held out in the dying moments to make it through to the final, winning 2-1.

BB Insure Willoughby Cup

Spilsby Town comfortably made it through to the final following a 4-0 away win at Old Doningtonians.

Michael Twigge struck two of The Town goals while Liam Papworth and Conor Minor were also on target.

There was a major shock in the quarter-final tie at Friskney where the Division One side dumped Premier League outfit Swineshead Institute out of the competition although it needed a penalty shoot-out to see the underdogs through.

The tie finished 0-0 after 90 minutes before both sides got on the score-sheet in extra time as the final outcome stood at 1-1.

Greg Brown grabbed The Friskney goal and the home side just squeezed through 6-5 on penalties.

Swineshead were probably not at their strongest and they received five yellow cards as they toiled away - two of the cautions went to Cameron Cope who was dismissed.

Taylors Garages Premier Division

After the previous week’s 1-1 draw between the top two sides, Wyberton Reserves took full advanatge of rivals Spilsby Town’s involvement in The Willoughby Cup semi-final when they hammered Fishtoft 6-0 at home, moving two points clear at the top.

Liam Shinn did most of the damage for the title-chasers while Adam Vinters and Shane Brackenbury also got on the scoresheet.

Heckington travelled with a depleted team when they made last Saturday’s visit to Billinghay Athletic, but it all worked out well in the end for The Millers.

An end-to-end first half saw Heckington take the lead through a Dom Kew header from a corner before Billinghay equalised from their own corner.

Millers found themselves in front again after a good ball from Joe Braithwaite saw Kew once again finish with his head and Heckington increased their lead just before the break through a Kane Brown goal.

Billinghay pulled one back right after half time but Heckington controlled most of the second half and held out comfortably for a much needed win.

The Billinghay goals came from Harry Wright and Adam Smith.

Kirton Town and Ruskington Rovers clashed at Graves Park, and it was the home side who edged out a crucial home win.

Ruskington hit two goals through Ashley Field and Sam Jackson, but Kirton snatched victory in a 3-2 home win.

Coningsby fell to a surprise 2-1 defeat at Pointon.

Tom Sewell grabbing the visitor’s goal.

Taylors Peugeot Division One

Freiston continue to finish the season on a high note with a storming 8-2 away win at Swineshead Reserves, with Perrie Dale hitting four of his side’s goals.

Troy Ayton (two), David Whalley and Tom Bates completed the scoring for the impressive visitors.

Swineshead replied through Josh Ullyatt-Sands and Giles Favell.

Woodhall Spa United and Wrangle shared the points in a 1-1 draw.

Taylors Ford Division Two

Railway Athletic suffered a shock 1-0 defeat away at Coningsby Reserves, where Shaun Taylor snatched the all-important winner.

A lacklustre first half at basement side Mareham United saw Park United go in at half time 1-0 down before they produced a much-improved performance after the break.

An equaliser direct from a free kick by Ben Dean and a superb volley from Dec Wilson put Park in front.

The visitors sealed a 4-1 victory with two typical poacher-like goals from striker Alex Limb.

Dean Seiner hit a hat-trick for Swineshead A in their 4-2 home win against Holbeach Bank while Josh Smith grabbed the other goal.

Fishtoft Reserves and Pointon Reserves shared the points following a 1-1 draw in the warm spring-like weather conditions, although the home side will feel they should have made more of the opportunities that came their way.

The first half didn’t really get going as both sides were evenly matched and chances were at a minimum.

Pointon Reserves did manage to open the scoring towards the end of the half with a bicycle kick that Fishtoft’s defence should have dealt with.

Both teams came to life in the second half and it was Fishtoft who took advantage of some sloppy defending to pull a goal back and level the scores at 1-1 through makeshift striker Lewis Cartwright.

Fishtoft began to control affairs that and could have gone 2-1 ahead had it not been for an offside decision that would have sent Lewis Cartwright clean through on a one-on-one with the keeper.

Fishtoft carried on creating chances but couldn’t find that all-important breakthrough and both sides played out the rest of the game as they toiled in the sunshine.

Taylors Vauxhall Division Three

Spilsby Town Reserves gained three valuable points following their 2-1 home win against Spalding Harriers.

The crucial match-winners came from Lee Boulton and leading scorer Travis Herberts.

The Spalding reply came from Morgan Taylor.