Extra-time cup win for Skegness Town Reserves

Coningsby 2 Skegness Town Reserves 4 (aet)

Boston League

Sports Cup

Skegness Town Reserves needed extra time to see off the challenge of first division Coningsby, who had lost only one of their previous 16 games.

After a goalless first half, the seasiders seemed to have earned a place in the next round with two goals, but Coningsby bounced back to level and force an extra 30 minutes.

The first half saw both sides cancelling each other out with both defences looking solid, chances were few and far between; the home side looking the greater threat to breaking the deadlock, but some good organised defending by keeper Ryan Thompson and the back four of Michael Parnham, Jamie Epton, Joe Errington and Ben Etches saw the Town goal rarely threatened.

The visitors grew into the fixture and Scott Dore had a good effort from 25 yards fly past the post.

At half time, Jay Verhuel was introduced into the fold, however it was his brother Adrian who won his team a penalty in the 55th minute and Errington made no mistake from the spot.

The lively Verhuel started to cause major problems, cutting in from the right wing.

Parnham struck the upright with a strike from an acute angle; following more good work from Verhuel.

Town eventually stretched their lead; some fine work from Parnham saw his inch perfect cross met by striker James Bland, who made no mistake from ten yards.

With five minutes remaining, Town looked in control but some very naive football from the away team led to Coningsby gaining possession in Town’s defensive third and the striker netted the easiest of chances to keep their hopes alive.

With seconds left on the clock, Coningsby drew level after some more sloppy play by the visitors.

After being gifted possession, Coningsby counter attacked and with a nice strike found themselves back in the cup tie.

Deep into injury time, goalkeeper Thompson made a brilliant double save to keep Skegness in the competition.

In extra time the seasiders went on to play some very good football, shortening their passes somewhat.

During the first period left back Jamie Epton drifted into the home side’s area, his dazzling run saw him waltz past three defenders and his shot was lifted over the advancing keeper.

In the second period there was only one team likely to score.

A pass from Jamie Sleight found Jay Verhuel, who cut in from the right and cleverly dinked his effort over the keeper.

Manager Scott Daley said after the game:

“I cannot praise the squad enough, seeing a match winning lead slip away from them with only five minutes remaining must have been so hard to take, but to their credit, they didn’t feel sorry for themselves. They went out in extra time and played some brilliant possession football to win the game.”