Disciplined Town Reserves edged out by Swineshead

Swineshead Institute 1 Skegness Town Reserves 0

Boston League

Premier Division

A penalty save by Skegness Town Reserves keeper Liam Gibson couldn’t prevent league leaders Swineshead Institute edging out the seasiders in their Boston League clash.

The seasiders knew the task of getting a point from this fixture would be a tough ask with the home team averaging three goals per game.

The visitors retained the same back five of goalkeeper Gibson, defenders Etches, Errington, Jeffery and Ashwell for the third game in succession.

They selected a midfield five of Marinov, Connelly, Corssen, Parnham and Bland with Adi Verhuel as the lone striker.

The first half saw the home team with the majority of the possession, with Town set up to defend deep and hit the home team on the break.

Town started nervously. Within five minutes the home team’s number ten looked certain to score but centre half John Jeffery made a superb tackle inside his own penalty area. If the skipper had mistimed his challenge he would certainly have seen a red card.

After 15 minutes Skegness settled into their game plan, restricting Swineshead to long range efforts, however on the 30 minute mark, the referee awarded a very debatable penalty. Andrew Corssen was harshly adjudged to have fouled the striker.

The penalty taker looked confident to score, but Liam Gibson had other ideas. With the ball heading towards the bottom corner, the keeper flung himself to his right, tipping the ball for a corner.

The last five minutes of the first period saw Swinsehead pile on the pressure, but fine goalkeeping from Gibson kept the half time score at 0-0.

Town stuck to the 4-5-1 formation for the start of the second half and they saw much more of the ball in this period.

Adi Verhuel did a brilliant job holding the ball up for the wide men Bland and Marinov to join him in attack.

The trio of Corssen, Parnham and Conelly kept their shape and discipline in the middle of the park and with the back four defending the penalty area with great assurance things were going to plan.

Swineshead did finally get the ball in the back of the net. The number nine picking the ball up 25 yards out, skilfully turning his marker and firing a well struck shot into the bottom corner.

The game opened up at this point. Town went looking for an equaliser and this gave Swineshead the opportunity to create chances.

Man of the Match Liam Gibson pulled off several first class saves, denying the home team a second goal.

The Lilywhites slowly came into the game, creating chances to earn themselves a point. They hit the cross bar with the keeper stranded and Shaun Connelly found himself well placed but blazed over.

One or two half chances were also created, but Town failed to level the scores.

Manager Scott Daley said afterwards: “I am very proud of all my players today, we played a very strong and experienced team. All the lads stuck to our game plan and almost came away with a point.”

Skegness Town Reserves - Liam Gibson, Ben Etches, John Jeffery, Joe Errington, Jack Ashwell, Michael Marinov, Shaun Connelly, James Bland, Andrew Corssen, Adrian Verhuel, Michael Parnham, Scott Dore, Scott Daley.