Determined Town Reserves unbeaten away

Share this article

Boston League Premier Division

Billinghay Athletic 2 Skegness Town Reserves 5

Skegness Town’s first team County Cup tie against All Star Panthers of Grimsby was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch.

Meanwhile, Skegness Town Reserves travelled to Billinghay on a wet and windy afternoon full of confidence with a 100 per cent away record to date.

They started brightly and went 1-0 up with only two minutes on the clock, striker Adrian Verheul calmly slotting home after some good football from Andy Reeson and James Bland.

The seasiders played some wonderful football in the first 25 minutes. Jay Verheul was unlucky not to score, when his mazy run through the heart of the defence resulted in the home keeper pulling of a fine save.

The game should have been put to bed with Town missing several chances, however Billinghay scored after 30 minutes against the run of play through Mark Wheatley. This gave the home team confidence and they dominated possession for the rest of the half, causing problems with their quick neat football.

The second was full of action and Town’s will to win shone through for all to see. It was the best half the team had produced this season.

Some great play from Adi Verheul and Michael Parnham won a corner for the visitors and the in-swinging cross was met by Bland, whose bullet header powered past the goalkeeper. It was great credit to the young striker that, having missed opportunities earlier on, his head didn’t drop.

The seasiders increased their lead with a direct free kick from Reeson that nestled in the bottom corner of the net.

Billinghay came back into the game. Throwing men forward at every opportunity, they reduced arrears with 20 minutes remaining.

The next ten minutes saw Town’s defence of Ben Etches, John Jeffery, Joe Errington and Jack Ashwell come under pressure, but they defended with great spirit, making a number of goal saving challenges. 

Midfielders Jay Verheul, Reeson, Antony Miller and Parnham didn’t lose their shape, and all three substitutes, Shaun Connelly, Andy Corssen and Max Foreman played their part in the team effort.

With Billinghay on top and pushing for an equaliser goalkeeper Liam Gibson denied them with a superb save, tipping the ball round the post with a full length dive to his left.

Town seemed to take strength from this and Connelly scored a wonder goal to ease the pressure. The ball fell to him on the half way line and without taking a touch, he fired it back over the home keeper, who was stranded on the edge of the penalty area. It was a goal that David Beckham would have been proud of.

Parnham finished of the scoring, notching from five yards, following some good team football.

Manager Scott Daley said afterwards that the squad’s performance justified the victory and he challenged his players to continue this excellent form for the rest of the season.

Skegness Town Reserves: Liam Gibson, Ben Etches, Joe Errington, John Jeffery, Jack Ashwell, Andrew Reeson, Antony Miller, Jay Verheul, Michael Parnham, Adrian Verheul, James Bland, Max Foreman, Shaun Connelly, Andrew Corssen.