Alford turn on the second-half style in goal blitz

Spilsby Ladies 1

Alford Ladies 1st XI 8

ALFORD Ladies travelled to Horncastle to play a strong Spilsby side, in a game of two halves.

Running a little late, Alford’s entrance on the pitch at the whistle was a little slow and unprepared, allowing Spilsby to catch them on the hop with strong attacking play.

However, Alford kept them at bay and soon re-organised themselves to push forward on the home goal.

Spilsby’s defence was strong and their stand in goal keeper, Charlotte Bee, was enjoying a fantastic game and making some exceptional saves.

Alford, undeterred, continued to press and right winger Rachel Hickson broke the deadlock when Spilsby couldn’t clear their lines. With her back towards goal, she reverse flicked the ball over the line.

After a number of unsuccessful short corners, Alford’s sweeper Sam Fieldman stepped forward to see if she could help influence matters, and with a strong strike, she took Alford’s lead to 2–0.

Spilsby constantly fought back to seek two goals to equalise, and shortly before half time, after a mix up in the Alford defence, their striker was able to claw one back to make the half time score 2-1.

In the secpnd half, Alford emerged a rejuvenated side and attacked the Spilsby end from all sides, and in the same order as the first half, Rachel and Sam increased Alford’s lead to 4-1.

The Spilsby defence were now struggling to keep the onslaught at bay, and Luan Burton’s powerful strike on goal flew past the stranded defence for Alford’s fifth.

A defiant Spilsby team battled to close down the Alford strikers at the earliest opportunity, and the away team found it difficult to find any shooting space, but with a rare gap opening up, Caroline Vickers struck the ball past a wrong footed keeper for Alford’s sixth.

Spilsby were now camped in their own half and any breakaway attack was thwarted ably by Alford’s Holly Boulton and Becky Murray, and injected straight back into the rampant attacking Alford forwards.

After a tirade of shots from Alford’s Tracy Le’Gate were expertly saved by the on form Spilsby keeper Bee, Le’Gate changed tack and passed to Jess Wood on the left post, who swept the ball into the goal for Alford’s seventh.

After skilfully rounding the Spilsby defence, Luan Burton passed to captain Kelly Tuplin in the D, who struck an unstoppable shot against the back board for a deserved goal to finalise a great performance in the second half for Alford, who ended the game as 8-1 victors.

Man of the match for Alford was Becky Murray, and for Spilsby was Charlotte Bee.

Alford: Carole Jacklin, Sam Fieldman, Nikii Hind, Shirley Gibney, Becky Murray, Helen Gray, Holly Boulton, Tracy Le’Gate, Luan Burton, Kelly Tuplin (capt), Rachel Hickson, Caroline Vickers and Jess Wood.