A devastated Lincolnshire pet owner warns others of the dangers of using tumble dryers after losing his beloved dogs in a fire.
Shaun Williamson took to Facebook earlier this week to describe his heartbreak after losing his three pet dogs.
“With a broken heart I want to warn you all about leaving clothes in a tumble dryer then leaving the house. I turned it off just before I left as I have done for the past seven years but it still caught fire. I’ve just lost all of my babies - please don’t leave anything in your tumble dryer unattended.”
Whilst an electrical fault had been identified with Shaun’s Indesit tumble dryer, he was advised to turn off the appliance if he left it unattended – something he did after using it but which unfortunately didn’t prevent the fire from happening.
Shona Wright, community fire safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “This is a really sad case but unfortunately, it’s not the first time we’ve seen something like this.
“All electrical appliances have their dangers, especially those that run at high speeds and contain motors and heating elements, like washing machines and tumble dryers. Because of this it’s really important that they are serviced every year.
“Just because there isn’t a flame, it doesn’t mean there isn’t a fire risk. However, there are some tell-tale signs that you can look out for. Take the time to go round your house and identify any risks. As this story shows, a fire can happen all too easily and it’s not worth the risk.”
Check over the electricals in your home, paying particular attention to:
Danger signs - watch out for hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow for no obvious reason, flickering lights, scorch marks on sockets or plugs
Badly wired plugs - If the coloured wires are sticking out of the plug they could be pulled loose and water and debris could get inside
Fraying power leads - The outer covering of a power lead must not be damaged
Repaired power leads – never attempt to repair a split or frayed power lead with sellotape or join cables by taping them together.
Overloaded sockets - If you plug too many appliances into an adaptor you could overload the socket, which can lead to overheating. See the plugs and cables page for details of correct use.
Cables in vulnerable positions - Don’t leave power leads where they can be tripped over, near a source of water, or close to the cooker top
Water near electrics - Don’t let cables or plugs get wet, and keep liquids away from electrical appliances.