Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is reminding residents of their top tips on how to stay safe this December.
The festive season is often a busy period for the fire service, with a sharp rise of incidents within the home. From fairy lights and taffled up tinsel to candles and Christmas decorations, all can become fire hazards when proper care is not taken.
National statistics show that in December, 20 people a day are either killed or injured in accidental fires at home. In December 2013, there were around 2,700 accidental fires in the home in England – more than any other month of the year. In Lincolnshire, 45 per cent of incidents during the same period were caused by cooking appliances, with mains electrics and candles making up another 20 per cent.
Karl Turrill, deputy community fire and safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service, said: “Christmas is an exciting time for many, but with all the excitement and distractions, it’s quite easy to forget that accidents can happen. The festivities often bring more fire risks into the home including candles, tree lights and cooking. The added influence of alcohol means that it is even more important to stay alert.
“Fires start when people become distracted, so please don’t leave cooking and candles unattended. It’s a good idea to check to turn off your tree lights when you are out or have gone to bed, and make sure your smoke alarm works.”