Skegness fire crews attend Burgh grass blaze

editorial image
Share this article

A Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue crew from Skegness was scrambled to a grass fire in Burgh le Marsh last night (Monday).

The call came in shortly after 7pm.

The crew extinguished around five metres of grass embankment which was alight.

Firefighters said the cause was believed to be carelessly discarded smoking materials.

It is the latest in a series of accidental fires caused by carelessly discarded smoking materials this summer - including several incidents along the foreshore in Skegness.

Firefighters have repeatedly called upon smokers to take more care when disposing of their cigarettes, matches and cigars - especially now that it is the height of summer and most grass is tinder dry.