Skegness beach airlift drama

William is lifted into the helicopter. Photo by Stephen Willmer.
William is lifted into the helicopter. Photo by Stephen Willmer.

AN AMBUCOPTER made a rare yet dramatic beach landing to rush an injured teenager to hospital on Monday afternoon.

William Wright, 16, had been enjoying the sunny weather, playing a game of football with friends on Skegness beach, when he tripped and smashed his head on a carelessly discarded glass bottle.

With all head and neck injuries warranting urgent attention the ambucopter was quickly dispatched to take the patient for immediate treatment at Boston Pilgrim Hospital. Fortunately the injury did not transpire to be particularly significant and he was able to sit his final GCSE exam the following morning.

His relieved mother, Lynne Wright, has expressed her deepest gratitude to the life saving crews who helped her son.

“I would like to thank most sincerely the Skegness Beach Lifeguards, the Coastguard team and everyone else who attended him whilst waiting for the ambucopter to arrive. The ambucopter crew themselves were also very professional and caring in their treatment of my son and together they all made me feel very proud of the emergency services and of the difficult job they are doing.”

Although William looks set to make a full recovery, his mother feared that the inconsiderate behaviour of the litter bug that left the glass bottle behind could have had far worse consequences.

William’s injuries though relatively minor still left him with cuts requiring two staples in his head and, as with all head wounds or neck injuries, the ramifications could have easily been far more serious.

Lincolnshire and Nottinghamshire Air Ambulance chairman Peter Aldrick said: “We are always very cautious because it could result in spinal damage and so we don’t take any chances. It is important to keep them immobile and get them to hospital as soon as possible and we are well equipped to deal with these type of injuries.”

The ambucopter touched down at 3.40pm and in under 15 minutes it was on its way to Boston Pilgrim Hospital where the patient was admitted in a stable condition.

The life saving organisation responds to between three and four emergency callouts each day and is particularly busy during the summer months.

Its latest cutting edge helicopter was launched in November and costs £1.7million a year to run. It is funded entirely on public donations.

To make a donation call 01522 548469.