Pull the plug on fire risk

Fire and Rescue news.
Fire and Rescue news.

A countywide safety campaign has been launched to reduce the fire risk from electrical items in the home.

The Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue Service ‘Get Turned Off’ campaign is encouraging people to unplug electrical items when not being used.

Last year firefighters attended 91 incidents caused by electrical items in the home.

The majority were started from overloaded plug sockets, faulty wiring and the build-up of fluff in tumble dryers.

Community fire safety advocate, Nicola Shipston, said: “We are experiencing more fires in Lincolnshire as a result of electrical items being left on for too long or used incorrectly.

“Most homes now contain a number of electrical items from large appliances to gadgets and with more electrical items comes more risk. The simple message of our ‘Get Turned Off’ campaign is to switch off your electrical goods and gizmos if you’re not using them.

“Items such as mobile phones, tablets, e-cigarettes and laptops are all capable of causing a fire, particularly if you power them with a substandard charger or charge them for too long. Larger appliances such as dishwashers, washing machines and tumble dryers are also dangerous if you leave them on, especially if you have gone out or gone to bed.”

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is offering the following advice to keep your home safe.

· Don’t overload sockets – try and keep to one plug per socket.

· Check and replace any old cables and leads.

· Turn off appliances when not in use, when out of the house or asleep.

· Be careful when using hand-held electrical equipment or electric heaters and make sure they are switched off when not in use and keep them away from flammable items.

· Watch out for hot plugs and sockets, fuses that blow for no obvious reason, flickering lights, scorch marks on sockets or plugs

· Regularly check cables and sockets for signs of wear and tear or burn marks. Just because there’s no flame doesn’t mean there’s no fire risk.

For more safety advice and tips on how to keep your home safe, visit www.lincolnshire.gov.uk/lfr