Pancake lovers urged to keep ‘flipping safe’ by Lincs Fire & Rescue this Shrove Tuesday

Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue and the county council have urged lovers of pancakes to take care in the kitchen this Shrove Tuesday.

If you’re planning to make pancakes for Shrove Tuesday (February 12), then don’t get caught out by hot oil and equipment this year, the have warned.

Debbie Robinson, deputy community safety manager for Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue said: “When you’re distracted by delicious, warm pancakes, fire safety may not be at the forefront of your mind!

“However, fat and chip pan fires can be devastating, with a very high proportion of fires resulting in injuries.

“Most fires start in the kitchen, and at this time of year, a common scenario can be families tucking into pancakes, forgetting that they have left their frying pan on the hob, burning away.”

For a fun and safe Shrove Tuesday, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue recommends the following safety advice:

- When you’ve finished cooking your pancakes, take the frying pan off the hob and turn off the heat source.

- If the oil starts to smoke, it’s too hot. Turn off the heat and leave it to cool.

- If your children are in the kitchen helping you make pancakes, take extra care and make sure they are supervised at all times.

- A working smoke alarm will greatly increase your chances of escaping a fire unharmed. Fit a smoke alarm and test it weekly.

- Have an escape plan and follow it – know exactly which way you will leave the house, and know where you will go.

- If a fire does occur in your kitchen, don’t tackle it yourself – get out, stay out and dial 999.

Cooking is the single biggest cause of accidental house fires in Lincolnshire.

Last year, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue responded to 148 incidents caused by it. The majority happened when people were not paying attention or left things unattended.

For fire safety advice visit or to book a free Home Fire Safety Check call 01522 582222 or email