Man who stabbed two strangers in Skegness jailed for ten years

No Caption ABCDE ANL-150412-114802001
No Caption ABCDE ANL-150412-114802001

A man who stabbed two strangers with a piece of glass in a Skegness pub has been jailed for ten years.

Anthony Russell (22) carried out the attack in a fit of jealousy after he saw his two victims sitting with his girlfriend in the New Imperial bar on Lumley Road.

Lincoln Crown Court today heard Russell armed himself with a shard of glass after jumping from his passing car and running straight in to the pub.

Graham Huston, prosecuting, said building workers Christopher Huddlestone and Josh Hall were sat talking with Russell’s girlfriend and her friend.

Mr Huston told the court: “He attacked the two men at speed from behind and produced a shard of glass.”

Mr Hall was attacked first and described feeling a thud to the back of his head. He later told police “the man was going crazy.”

Det Insp Richard Myszczyszyn

Such violence will not be tolerated in Skegness

Mr Huddlestone tried to protect his friend but was then stabbed in the neck. “Blood was pouring from my neck,” he later told police.

Russell was heard shouting to his girlfriend “I told you if I saw you with other guys I would stab you and them.”

Mr Huddlestone was so concerned that he rang his mother as he was rushed to hospital, fearing he would die. He suffered a 4cms gaping cut to his neck and was kept in hospital overnight.

Mr Hall required two staples for a wound to the back of his skull.

Russell, of no fixed address, fled and was arrested two days after the attack when police spotted him hiding in woodland near Spilsby. A suitcase was found in his car.

He later admitted two charges of wounding with intent following the incident on 3 July.

David Eager, mitigating, told the court Russell was genuinely sorry and still a young man.

Passing sentence Judge Michael Heath told Russell he was lucky not to be facing a murder charge due to the medical attention which had helped Mr Huddlestone.

Judge Heath said: “You stabbed Hall to the back of his head. Huddlestone tried to protect him and you stabbed him in the neck.

“That wound was life threatening because of the amount of blood loss. He thought he was going to die and rang his mother to say he loved her.”

Det Insp Richard Myszczyszyn said: “This was an unprovoked attack on two men and the level of violence used was shocking in a family holiday resort in the height of season.

“Such violence will not be tolerated in Skegness and I am satisfied that the sentence imposed on Russell reflects the severity of his offence”.