Lincolnshire firefighters are urging people to ensure their chimneys are clean and in good working order after attending eight chimney fires in the past 48 hours.
Caused by blockages in the chimney flues, all of these fires could have been avoided by simple maintenance and good housekeeping routines.
Debbie Robinson, deputy community safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “With the cold weather set to continue well into April, please follow our simple steps to help you avoid a fire in your home.
“Put simply, if your chimney flue is clean it will not catch fire because there is nothing in it to burn.
“Chimney fires most commonly result from four basic causes – having the wrong sized wood burner installed, infrequent sweeping and cleaning, burning of unseasoned wood, or overnight burning or smouldering of wood for long periods in wood burners.
“So to reduce the risk of a fire, make sure your chimney is swept regularly by a professional, qualified chimney sweep.
“As well as taking these precautions, make sure you have a working smoke alarm in your home. It really can make the difference between life and death in an emergency situation.”
To book a free Home Fire Safety Check, which could include the fitting of smoke alarms, call 01522 582222.