Households with wood burners or fireplaces have been advised to take vital safety precautions before lighting up for the first time as autumn closes in.
Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is reminding people to have their chimneys swept regularly to avoid falling victim to a serious house fire caused by a dangerous build up of soot.
“The best way to prevent a chimney fire is to have your chimney swept on a regular basis to remove the build-up of soot and deposits that occurs through regular burning of carbon-based fuels,” a spokesperson said.
“Sweeping your chimney ensures there is a clear and safe passage for the exit of combustion by-products.
“It’s important to remember that all fuels contain carbon - including oil, gas, wood, charcoal, coal and smokeless fuel - and care should always be taken with all fuels to ensure safety.
“Not only will the prevent a chimney fire, but it will also help prevent the production of carbon monoxide, which can result from incomplete combustion.”
For more advice visit here