A local veterinary surgery with branches in Skegness and Spilsby has issued advice to pet owners following reports of animal poisonings.
In recent weeks the Standard has carried reports from local dog owners concerned that their furry friends may have fallen victim to discarded poisons.
Fenwold Vets said: “Malicious or deliberate poisoning in dogs and cats is, thankfully, rare. Dogs, in particular, will often scavenge whilst out on walks which can leave them with quite severe ‘tummy upsets’, the signs of which can look like ‘poisoning’.
“However, the signs usually resolve in a few days.
“Much more common is accidental poisoning. Some poisons are obvious but others are more of a surprise.”
In dogs the most common poisonings are rat bait, chocolate, human painkillers, and car antifreeze products. In cats, common poisons include spot-on flea treatments for dogs, lillies which are very toxic, and antifreeze products. Owners should take care to protect their pets from these items in the home.
“Poisoning in dogs and cats can be difficult to treat,” added Fenwold Vets. “It is better to try to prevent poisoning than to treat it. If you suspect your pet may have been poisoned, contact your vet for advice.”