NHS in Lincolnshire in Bank Holiday advice

Pilgrim Hospital, Boston.
Pilgrim Hospital, Boston.
Share this article

The NHS in Lincolnshire is highlighting were people need to go to get the right medical treatment in the right place this Bank Holiday.

With many GP and dentist practices1 due to close on Monday for the Bank Holiday it is important everyone knows the most appropriate place to go when feeling unwell.

There are lots of services available to help with a variety of illnesses and injuries including pharmacies, Out-of-Hours services, NHS 111 and walk-in centres.

Diane Pegg, Head of Primary Care Commissioning from NHS England, Leicestershire and Lincolnshire, said: “We’re urging the public to choose well this Bank Holiday weekend, and go to the best place to get the right advice and treatment.

“If you are unsure about the right treatment call NHS 111”.

Below are some examples of conditions that you might experience over the long weekend and where to go for advice and treatment.

1. Sniffles, cold & flu: Self care at home. Suffering from hay fever or a cold? Take pain-relieving paracetamol, or antihistamines, stay well hydrated and rest or visit your local pharmacy to stock up on over-the-counter medicines.

2. An itchy rash on your skin: Pharmacy. Pharmacists can provide advice on heat rash or an allergic reaction. See below for information on opening hours for pharmacies in the Lincolnshire.

3. A cut to your finger or a burn: Walk-in centre. Have you accidently burnt yourself on the barbeque or cut yourself preparing the meat for it? Visit your walk-in centre or minor injuries unit where they will be able to advise and treat you if necessary. The Lincoln walk-in centre is open from 8am to 8pm.

4. Sprains & strains: Walk-in centre or self care at home. Tripped over playing a summer sport? Visit a walk-in centre for assessment or rest at home and make an appointment with your GP after the Bank Holiday weekend if required.

5. Chest pain, difficulty breathing, loss of blood or loss of consciousness: Visit A&E or call 999. If you have a pain in the chest, problems breathing or loss of blood or consciousness go straight to A&E or call 999 in an emergency.

6. Tooth ache: Dental out-of-hours services. All NHS dental practices will have details on their answer phones to sign post patients to the out-of-hours service. Patients can contact 111 to access out of hours care.