Fight to find out about dad’s death

Shirley Cooper with her father Reginald who died suddenly at Boston's Pilgrim Hospital.
Shirley Cooper with her father Reginald who died suddenly at Boston's Pilgrim Hospital.

A DAUGHTER has battled through a three year fight to find out the answers which she believes lead to her father’s death at Boston Pilgrim Hospital.

Shirley Cooper, of Winthorpe, has been determined to find out why certain measures were taken and why a post-mortem wasn’t carried out when her father, Reginald Cooper was taken ill and died in January 2009.

“It has taken me all this time to get to this point and I want to know why my dad was not given a post-mortem after his death. I believe a series of errors lead to my dad’s death and I will never know for sure what was the actual cause,” said Shirley.

Mr Cooper, who was 80 when he died, experienced chest pains and was taken by ambulance to Skegness Hospital on Tuesday, January 6, 2009.

On arrival, Mr Cooper had blood tests carried out, an ECG and an X-ray of his abdomen, where Shirley was told the blood results would be sent over to Boston Pilgrim Hospital.

Despite the ambulance team writing down Mr Cooper’s symptoms, conflicting information was detailed on his charts which Shirley feels may have lead to his death.

“The hospital staff had written his main complaint was his goal bladder but really, it was his chest. He did have an ongoing hernia issue though but if they had checked his bloods, he wouldn’t have gone to the wrong department,” explained Shirley.

On January 7, Mr Cooper asked to use the commode but then collapsed and sadly he died 11.45am.

However, despite his sudden death, a post-mortem was never carried out and the ‘likely’ cause was recorded as a heart attack.

Shirley says she is ‘unhappy’ about not ever knowing the full cause but says she ‘cannot draw the line’ until she feels something has been done about it and thinks people should be made aware.

A spokesperson for ULHT, said: “We offer our sincere condolences to Miss Cooper on the death of her father. We have worked with Miss Cooper since 2009 to address her concerns and apologise for any distress experienced. We cannot discuss individual patient cases but we have thoroughly investigated Miss Cooper’s complaints and have responded in detail including holding several meetings [last meeting, November 2, 2011] between Miss Cooper and senior clinical and managerial staff at the Trust.”