Family call for answers after 999 crews misdiagnose mum of five’s brain haemorrhages twice

Anita and her family in happier times.
Anita and her family in happier times.

A Welton le Marsh family had the Christmas miracle to end all Christmas miracles this year - when a mum of five survived two brain haemorrhages that had been misdiagnosed.

Anita Trewick, 42, is recovering after specialists in Nottingham carried out a six hour emergency operation just days before Christmas.

Such haemorrhages are frequently fatal and for Anita to have survived two without immediate treatment has been hailed a ‘Christmas miracle’ by her relieved husband, Dean, 50.

But he is livid with the East Midlands Ambulance Service after 999 crews failed to spot the life-threatening haemorrhages on Anita’s brain, not once, but twice!

He is demanding answers from the NHS over the horrifying misdiagnoses, and has approached the press to highlight the dangers in the hope that people with similar symptoms don’t fall foul of the fatal condition.

“She very nearly died, it was that close,” said Dean.

“People need to know. She was at work and absolutely fine one minute and the next she just went down like a sack of potatoes.

“Her nickname on the hospital ward is ‘Wonder Woman’ because most people don’t make it past their first brain haemorrhage, let alone a second.

“She faces a lot of rehab and we don’t know yet what damage has been done, but she’s at a safe level now and can come home,” he added.

Anita’s ordeal began on December 16 when she took ill at work at St Helena’s School in Willoughby with a headache ‘beyond belief’, sensitivity to bright light, and a stiff neck.

When the ambulance crew arrived Dean, who knows first aid, said he feared it might be a stroke or blood clot, and said he told paramedics as such.

“With those symptoms the two things which instantly come to mind are a haemorrhage or meningitis,” he said.

However, he claims the paramedics instead diagnosed Anita with sinusitis.

Two days later Anita experienced more of the symptoms and had also now been physically sick. He was advised to dial 999 and, again, paramedics were called out.

Dean said they then diagnosed her with a viral infection and told him to speak to the family doctor about getting prescription painkillers.

“But by Thursday she was worse,” said Dean. “I took her to the doctors and they said take her to A&E quick.”

“When we got to Boston [and after they’d done some tests] she was blue-lighted to Nottingham for emergency surgery.”

A spokesperson for the East Midlands Ambulance Service said: “Mr Trewick has submitted a formal complaint about our response to his wife’s illness and we have launched an investigation to establish the facts.

“As soon as this is complete, we will pass on details of our findings to him direct.”