Family flee Boxing Day fire at Butlin’s apartment in Ingoldmells

Fire damage following an explosion at an apartment at Butlins, Ingoldmells Photo: Brendan Mccullough. ANL-181227-080540001
Fire damage following an explosion at an apartment at Butlins, Ingoldmells Photo: Brendan Mccullough. ANL-181227-080540001

Christmas went up in smoke for a family on a festive break at Butlin’s in Ingoldmells when they were forced to flee an apartment, leaving all of the children’s gifts behind.

According to Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, crews from Wainfleet and Skegness were called to the scene at 7.30am yesterday. They said the fire was in the kitchen area and due to “items put on top of a cooker that was accidentally left on”.

Witnesses reported waking up to see three fire crews at the scene.

Brendon Mccullough told the Standard he was staying in the block behind the fire. He said: “We didn’t hear it as it was in the early hours of the morning. The firefighters had put it out by 7.30am in the morning.

“Butlin’s moved everyone from that block. We were told someone left the oven on overnight and next to the oven was a can of deoderant and it exploded.

“Everyone got out safe. The children are very sad as all their Christmas presents where in there and had to be left behind.

Firefighters at the scene  of an explosion  at Butlins in Ingoldmells. Photo:  M. Winters ANL-181227-080630001

Firefighters at the scene of an explosion at Butlins in Ingoldmells. Photo: M. Winters ANL-181227-080630001

”The staff were absolutely amazing and handled the situation better then you could ever ask for. They gave the children clothes too from their shops and did everything to make sure all were looked after.”

A Butlin’s spokesman said: “There was a small fire that affected two units of accommodation. Our team worked with the fire brigade to ensure those guests affected were evacuated quickly and safely. There were no injuries and all families in the block were moved to new accommodation.

“We are working with the emergency services to establish the cause.”

The children are very sad as all their Christmas presents where in there and had to be left behind

Brendon Mccullough
Fire damage following an explosion at an apartment at Butlins, Ingoldmells Photo: Brendan Mccullough. ANL-181227-080556001

Fire damage following an explosion at an apartment at Butlins, Ingoldmells Photo: Brendan Mccullough. ANL-181227-080556001

Fire damage following an explosion at an apartment at Butlins, Ingoldmells Photo: Brendan Mccullough. ANL-181227-080614001

Fire damage following an explosion at an apartment at Butlins, Ingoldmells Photo: Brendan Mccullough. ANL-181227-080614001