Derby man takes car and reaches speeds of up to 100mph on roads near Horncastle

Court news. EMN-150910-150125001
Court news. EMN-150910-150125001

A Derby man took his partner’s Ford Focus car without permission and rammed a police car, trapped a police officer’s arm and then drove off at speeds of up to 100mph on roads near Horncastle, a court has heard.

Jordan Mends, 23, of Gough Grove, Long Eaton, admitted driving with excess alcohol and without insurance, aggravated vehicle taking and dangerous driving and driving whilst disqualified, when he appeared at Skegness Magistrates Court.

Daniel Pietryka, prosecuting, said that at around midnight on the night of October 22/23, Mends took his partner’s car without permission from Ingoldmells, and minutes later was seen by police on the A158, driving slowly but swerving in the road.

He pulled into a car park and the police pulled up alongside him as he brought the car to a stop and they pulled in front of him with their blue lights on.

One of the officers opened his passenger door but Mends then accelerated and drove the Focus into the door.

When the officers shouted at him to get out of the car, he tried to restart it but stalled it.

An officer smashed the driver’s window but Mends put the car into reverse and drove backwards with the officer’s arm trapped between the steering wheel and the door, causing him a sprained wrist before he was able to free himself.

Mr Pietryka said Mends continued to reverse the car out onto the A158 and took off towards Hagworthingham travelling through the 40mph area at 80mph followed by the police.

He said the car then accelerated to 100mph, overtook two other vehicles and travelled through to High Toynton where it was stopped by a police stinger device.

Mends was arrested and given a breathalyser test, which was positive and showed a reading of 51 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath. The legal limit is 35.

It was also established that he had previously been banned from driving.

Mitigating, Morgan Hogarth said that Mends accepted he did not have permission to take the car but said he did not realise it had been a police car that had come up to him as there were no ‘Police’ lights displayed.

He also denied the officer’s arm was inside the car when he reversed away.

The magistrates said that whichever version of events was correct, they did not have sufficient powers to sentence him.

Mends was given unconditional bail and will be sentenced at Lincoln Crown Court at a later date.