A 19-month-old baby boy has died after falling into a lake at a caravan site in Ingoldmells.
The tragic death happened at the Skegness Water Leisure Park on Saturday afternoon (September 3).
Police have not yet confirmed the cause of death, but it is understood that the boy drowned.
He has been named locally as Kai, although his surname is not yet known.
A police spokesperson said: “At 6.08pm on Saturday we were notified about an incident that took place in Ingoldmells involving the sudden death of a 19-month-old boy.
“There are no suspcious circumstances and a coroners’ inquest will be held in due course.
“The family are from Cambridgeshire”.
The baby was rushed to Boston’s Pilgrim Hospital but was dead on arrival.
It is understood that the baby’s parents had been erecting a tent, and that while they were doing this the baby wandered off and fell into the lake.
A spokesperson for the Skegness Water Leisure Park said: “For the record, everyone at Skegness Water Leisure Park is deeply shocked by this tragic accident and our thoughts and deepest sympathy at the moment are with Kai’s family.
“It is the first such accident in the 21 years since the Park opened and whilst all campers are made aware of the location of lakes on site when they arrive, a full and thorough investigation will be carried out into what happened.
“The authorities have been informed and we will be co-operating with them in any way that they require.
“Until those investigations are completed, no further comments can be made other than to ask that you all think about Kai’s family at this awful time.”
East Lindsey District Council said there was no evidence to suggest that the park was at fault for the tragedy.
The local authority’s commercial team leader, Mike Harrison, said: “Our thoughts are with the family and friends of the young child who so tragically died in Ingoldmells on Saturday evening.
“After being alerted to the incident by Lincolnshire Police we carried out a full and detailed inspection of the site on Sunday to ensure the owners are complying with the required health and safety standards.
“Our findings suggest they are but we await a full report into the incident from Her Majesty’s Coroner in due course.”
The local community has been left shocked by the news of the boy’s death.
Commenting online one local, Emma Walker, said: “I cant stop thinking about it and how that poor baby must have been so frightened.”
Another local, Steve Crump, said: “Poor little mite R.I.P.”