Teen admits harassment

A Skegness teen appeared at the town’s Magistrates’ Court last week via video link from Lincoln Prison on charges of burglary, causing damage, harassment and obstructing the police.

Callum John Horton, 19, of Spirewic Avenue pleaded guilty to all charges and an allegation of escaping from lawful custody was withdrawn.

Jim Clare, prosecuting, said that police investigating a burglary at a caravan site, went to Horton’s home on May 11 and arrested him on suspicion of the offence.

He was allowed to get dressed but he ran away and jumped through a second floor window to the ground below, injuring himself in the process, and escaped.

He said that Horton received treatment at various local hospitals under false names until he was arrested several days later.

He told officers he had not wanted to be in custody on the day he was arrested as it was his late mother’s birthday.

Mr Clare said Horton was not charged with this burglary, but he did admit to breaking into a caravan at Butlin’s on June 6 while the holidaymakers were out, and stealing a wallet containing £200 and a police warrant card, as well as a £500 iPhone. He told officers he needed the money to pay off a debt and to buy drugs.

The harassment and damage offences resulted from the break-up of his relationship with his girlfriend. She said Horton repeatedly returned to her flat, swearing and being abusive, and on April 26 he damaged the wing mirror and tyre on her car.

Mr Clare said Horton was requently abusive towards her by text messages and she had to put up security cameras at her home as she was worried about the safety of herself and her children. He said Horton had numerous convictions for dishonesty and had received a 21 day prison sentence for burglary in January this year.

Mitigating, Dave Clapham said the burglary of the caravan was on impulse when he saw the phone through the window but that all offending had been in the last two years, following the death of his mother.

Magistrates adjourned the case for sentence on July 19. He was remanded in custody.