Girl and man admit Skegness hotel theft

Court News.
Court News.
Share this article

A teenage girl entered a Skegness hotel, forced her way into a bar, and stole money and alcohol worth £1,600, then returned more than an hour later with a 21-year-old man and stole more items.

Daniel Richard James Coulburn, 21, of Barnes Road, Skegness and a 16-year-old girl who cannot be named for legal reasons, admitted burglary when they appeared at Skegness Magistrates’ Court last week..

Jim Clare, prosecuting, said that on August 9, CCTV images recorded at JJ’s Steak House showed two teenage girls, neither of whom can be named, enter the bar area of the hotel in Firbeck Avenue, Skegness, having gained access to the hotel through a kitchen door and then forced the door into the bar.

He said they were seen to look around and attempt to open the till but when they failed to do so they unplugged it and took the whole till, which contained £300 in cash.

He said they also took alcohol, crisps and snacks from the bar and put them into bags. One girl was even seen drinking beer direct from the taps.

Over an hour later, Coulson, who had previously been a resident at the hotel in which the bar was situated, was seen to enter the bar with one of the girls and remove items.

Mr Clare said graffiti was also left in the premises.

Mr Clare said one of the teenage girls, who is 15 years old, had already been dealt with at the Youth Court.

In mitigation, Terry Boston for Coulburn, said he knew nothing about the original incident at 12.50am and was only involved from 2.30am after the girl phoned him and asked him to meet her at the hotel.

He said that when he got there, he found the door already open and all he had removed was a bottle of rum and three cans of Coke.

Both Mr Boston and Mr Mark Hudson, who represented the girl, said they had not been responsible for any graffiti.

The magistrates said there were different issues between the prosecution and defence, especially the graffiti and the degree of Coulson’s involvement, which would affect the sentence, so they adjourned the case until January 22 for a special hearing to determine the facts in dispute and to view the CCTV images.

Both were granted unconditional bail.