Drink-driver ‘slammed into’ police car in caravan park

Share this article

A MOTORIST who sped through red lights at 80mph before driving dangerously around a caravan park and slamming into a police car was over the drink-driving limit, Skegness magistrates were told.

Paul Smith, 22, of Leicester, pleaded guilty to dangerous driving, failing to stop, and driving while over the limit, at Skegness Magistrates’ Court last Tuesday.

Rebecca Ritson, prosecuting, said police investigating an unrelated lead theft on Anchor Lane, Ingoldmells, on the evening of March 31, saw Smith’s silver Ford Focus travelling towards them at speed.

Officers put their lights on but Smith continued, driving even faster along Old Roman Bank, racing past a parked car and through red lights at 80mph.

The pursuing police car lost sight of Smith but another officer reported seeing the Focus turn 180 degrees in the road before making its way back to the A52.

Smith then turned off onto Wolds Lane and into Skegness Water Leisure Park where he is said to have “driven dangerously” and without lights between tents and caravans for several minutes.

Officers did not challenge the vehicle, fearing for the safety of the park’s inhabitants, but when Smith entered a dead end, they applied their handbrake and attempted to block him in.

Undeterred, however, Smith then “slammed” into the police car, causing “some pain to the officer’s lower neck” before mounting the kerb and manoeuvring around the PCs’ stationary vehicle.

Magistrates committed Smith to Crown Court for sentencing on the dangerous driving and driving over the limit charges where the breach of a previous conditional discharge on other motoring related offences will also be taken into account.

Chairman Dorothy Dobson said: “The offences are so serious they possibly need greater punishment than we can give.”

For the offence of failing to stop, magistrates fined Smith £100 along with £85 costs and a £15 victim surcharge and imposed an interim driving ban on him.