Court: Murderer denied knowledge to victim’s parents

A woman denied knowing what had happened to her businessman fiancee when she met his parents less than 24 hours after murdering him, a court heard.

Julie Dixon, 43, chose to visit Roy and Janice Twigg a day after their only child, David, 46, was found locked inside a smoke filled store cupboard at his burning joinery workshop in Burgh le Marsh, near Skegness.

Dixon said injuries to her face were caused by intruders, and claimed in a letter written to Mr and Mrs Twigg eight days after their son’s death from smoke inhalation on 13 March that the couple were about to announce their marriage plans.

In an emotional statement Janice Twigg described how Dixon and her mother, Sue, came to her Skegness home on the afternoon she learnt of David’s death.

“Julie and I hugged each other, we were both in tears,” Mrs Twigg said.

Mrs Twigg described how Dixon then collapsed to the floor and was picked up by her husband, Roy, a retired lorry driver.

“I did ask what happened to David, she said she didn’t know,” Mrs Twigg added.

A week later Mr and Mrs Twigg received a letter in which Julie Dixon claimed she and David were about to tell them of their plans to get married next year.

In the letter which was read out in court Dixon wrote: “We wanted to tell you first then my parents.”

But the court also heard diary entries made by Mrs Twigg which disclosed a more troubling picture of her son’s relationship with Dixon.

During one entry made after she said Dixon had asked for a £2,000 holiday to be put on her credit card Mrs Twigg wrote: “I don’t like it, it left me with an awful feeling.

“I do hope this is not going to end terribly for David.”

In another entry Mrs Twigg wrote of divorcee Dixon: “This will be the second man she has taken to the cleaners.”

Dixon, who initially told police that intruders were responsible for Mr Twigg’s death, and then altered her story to a suicide pact, dramatically admitted the murder of her long term partner on the second day of her trial at Lincoln Crown Court last week.

Before she can be sentenced the judge in the case is holding a “Newton hearing” to decide her motive and the version of events.

The hearing which is expected to last eight days was told Dixon had managed to conceal the chaotic financial state that had engulfed Mr Twigg’s joinery business.

She hid mail from him and even managed to hide from him the fact that he was made bankrupt, owing £17,500 in taxes, and a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

Dixon had also become unhappy and told friends she wanted to leave her partner.