BREAKING NEWS - Murderer wept when 999 call heard in court

A WOMAN who admits killing her businessman fiancee after he was locked in a store cupboard at his burning workshop today (Wed) wept in court as her 999 call was played.

Julie Dixon, 43, dramatically admitted the murder of her long term partner David Twigg, 46, after changing her plea to guilty on the second day of her trial at Lincoln Crown Court last week.

Mr Twigg died of smoke inhalation on 13 March after being locked inside a store room at his bespoke joinery firm in Station Yard, Burgh Le Marsh, near Skegness.

In a 999 call made from the scene Dixon intially told police that she and Mr Twigg had been held by two intruders and that she had escaped.

Dixon who now admits the account was false sat sobbing in the dock with her head bowed as a recording of her conversation with the operator was played to a judge.

During the call made at 6.53pm Dixon could be clearly heard telling the operator: “They set fire to the place.”

When asked about Mr Twigg, her partner of 15 years, Dixon replied: “He’s in the store room I think,” adding, “I think they’ve locked him in.”

Dixon went on to describe the fictional intruders telling the operator: “They were just dressed in black and had a hoodie on, like a mask.”

When firefighters arrived at the converted railway station they described Dixon as “hysterical.” A small tin of burning liquid was found in the workshop entrance.

Mr Twigg was discovered in a “prayer like position” after firefighters used an axe to smash their way into the locked store room but efforts to resuscitate him failed.

Dixon later altered her story to that of a failed suicide pact between herself and Mr Twigg, but then changed her plea to guilty after just one day of evidence at her murder trial.

Before she can be sentenced the judge in the case is holding a “Newton hearing” to decide the version of events.

The court heard that the couple were outwardly in a happy relationship, but Dixon managed to conceal the chaotic financial state that had engulfed Mr Twigg’s joinery business.

She hid mail from him and even managed to hide from him the fact that he was made bankrupt, owing £17,500 in taxes, and a warrant had been issued for his arrest.

Dixon had also become unhappy and told friends she wanted to leave her partner.