County council offers free blind cleats to avoid tragedies in the home


Lincolnshire County Council is warning parents about the danger of blind cords and offering free blind cleats to help prevent accidents.

Research by the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents (ROSPA) shows that there have been at least 27 deaths due to looped blind cords since 1999, with 14 of those happening between 2010 and February 2013.

Recently it was reported that a 21-month-old girl from Northern Ireland had died after becoming entangled in a blind cord at her home.

Helene Denness, specialty registrar in Public Health, said: “Over one million children are taken to accident and emergency after accidents in or around the home each year. Often tragic accidents occur through play when it comes to blind cords.

“Our advice to parents is to only install blinds that are safe by design, such as a cordless blind or ones with a concealed or tensioned cord. But if you live in Lincolnshire and do have blinds with a cord, the county council offers free blind cleats to keep the hanging wire out of the way of little ones.”