Community hall ‘was in unfit condition’ claim

A shot from inside the hall last month. Photo supplied.
A shot from inside the hall last month. Photo supplied.

A couple were left ‘disgusted’ at the state of a church community hall they had hired for an event which they say was forced to end early.

Darren and Denise Hares booked the St Clement’s Community Hall, Skegness, for December 15 for a Christmas charity craft fair but were left ‘appalled’ at the state the building had been left in.

“We had been told there was an issue with the heating and it was in the process of being sorted out,” said Denise.

“They asked if we were sure we wanted to take it and we said yes,” she added.

Three temporary heaters had been put out but only two worked on the day, they claim.

The Hares would like a refund for the event but say The Skegness Group of Churches state the couple knew the situation the hall was in with the heating.

The rector Rev Malcolm France said: “In the autumn time we were faced with the catastrophe of the central heating boiler breaking and we worked with our users to ask whether they would like it to stay open or let it close while the works were carried out.

“They [the Hares] fulfilled their booking knowing the work was still in progress and they accepted the issues. The boiler cost £5,600 and we very much value the support of the community. The hall has now got suburb facilities. We are grateful for the patience.”