A NEW memorial plaque is to be installed in the village green at Chapel St Leonards in honour of the village’s war dead.
The move comes after the success of a special remembrance service on the green last November.
A service of remembrance has traditionally been performed on Remembrance Sunday at St Leonards Church, with wreaths laid on two war graves, one of which has been adopted by the village as a war memorial.
But last year the parish council organised an additional service on the village green on Remembrance Day itself.
The event proved so popular that the Parish Council has decided to repeat the Remembrance Day service this year. And a decision has also been made to formally dedicate a plaque of Remembrance on the green.
Parish Clerk, Mike Green, said: “At the centre point of the green is a bell tower shaped like a mast.
“Within the bell tower is the ‘Chapel Bell’, which is inscribed in memory of sailors who were shipwrecked in a violent storm that destroyed Chapel St Leonards (then known as Mumby-cum-Chapel) in 1571, but who managed to save a woman’s life in the village even so.
“The council considered therefore that it would be entirely appropriate to dedicate the bell tower as a memorial to those who have fallen in the service of the country.
“The memorial does not seek to replace the memorial at St Leonards Church,” added Mr Green. “But the village green is at the centre of the village and is used by thousands of visitors each year. The plaque will serve as a constant reminder of the debt of gratitude we all owe for our freedom today.”
A simple plaque is to be fixed to the bell tower dedicating it in grateful memory to the men and women who gave their lives for their country during conflict. No individual names will be recorded on it.