Alford crew at Mablethorpe wheelie bin fire

Firefighters from Alford were scrambled to a fire in Mablethorpe late last night (Friday).

They, and a crew from Mablethorpe, were call to a fire in Knowle Street in Mablethorpe at 11.54pm.

The fire involved three wheelie bins, and crews used one hose reel to extinguish it.

The fire caused damage to the windows of a ground floor flat and was believed to have been caused accidentally by a discarded cigarette.

The blaze is one of several in Lincolnshire in recent days involving discarded smoking materials.

Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue has urged the public to take care when disposing of cigarettes.

A spokesperson said: “Fires caused by carelessly discarded cigarettes are preventable. Take care to properly extinguish all your smoking materials.”