SKEGNESS UNITED 4, LOUTH TOWN RES 1
SKEGNESS United looked to build upon the cup success of last Saturday by returning to Lincolnshire League action at Wainfleet Road.
In a tight opening period, it seemed neither side would give anything away. But on 25 minutes a moment of magic from Ryan O’Loughlin set Michael Howard free down the right and allowed him to put in a great cross for Kyle McGuigan to convert his fifth goal in four games.
United’s second goal on 30 minutes, again involved O’Loughlin whose cheeky back-heel released full back Jason Keal and his delivery was headed home by Michael Howard.
The United players seemed to relax and their customary intricate football led to a McGuigan effort that was well saved.
Three minutes before half-time United went three goals to the good when Jamie Skinner scored his first goal for the club after latching on to a loose ball following a corner.
It had by no means been a one-sided first half as a determined Louth side created chances of their own with their exciting young striker Alex Carter a real threat throughout and he forced United’s Ben Martin into making two excellent saves in the opening 45 minutes.
Louth began the second-half playing some great football but were unable to break down a resolute United.
On 55 minutes United had the chance to make the game safe when Luke Rayner-Mistry was brought down in the area. Sean Chamberlain’spot-kick was saved by the Louth keeper.
Against the run of play O’Loughlin eventually got his customary goal on 83 minutes to make it 4-0 to United with a delightful shot from just inside the area, continuing his incredible record of scoring in all 11 of United’s games so far this season.
Louth gained a late consolation goal from Danny Marshall.
Assistant manager Jason Smith said: “We were by no means at our best today.”
United’s next match is this Saturday, October 20 against Gainsborough Town in the Challenge Cup with a 2.30pm kick-off at Wainfleet Road.
Squad: Martin, Drysdale, Muirhead, Keal, Chamberlain (Sleight), Scutt, McGuigan, Rayner-Mistry, Howard (Nicholls), O’Loughlin
Man of the Match - Jason Keal.
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
- Teachers’ union accuses Skegness Grammar School of financial mismanagement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east