Lincolnshire Police have warned youngsters about the dangers of starting bonfires after a boy was seriously injured elsewhere in the county.
Police were called to a house in Roman Pavement, Lincoln, at around 10pm last night (Sunday) after a report that youngsters had been injured.
A group of five teenagers had set a bonfire in a metal bin in a back garden. It is believed that accelerant was added to the fire causing it to flash – injuring a 12-year-old boy and a 14-year-old boy.
The 12-year-old has been treated for minor burns locally, but the 14-year-old boy was very badly burned and is now receiving specialist treatment at a hospital in Birmingham.
A 15-year-old local boy has been arrested in connection with this incident and he is currently helping police with their enquiries.
DI Suzanne Davies said: “This is an awful incident that has led to a local youngster being seriously hurt.
“It really demonstrates the huge dangers of messing around with fire, especially where accelerants are used.
“We hope that by releasing some details of this incident we can discourage youngsters from taking similar risks in the run-up to Bonfire Night.”