DCSIMG

Valentine safety message issued by firefighters

editorial image

editorial image

 

‘Don’t get caught up in the heat of the moment this Valentine’s Day’, is the message from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue.

Cooking, candles and alcohol can be a hazardous combination at this most romantic time of the year. Make sure it’s only sparks of passion that are ignited this Valentine’s Day, they warn.

Attempts at cooking a special meal can be dangerous, if the cook becomes distracted, by passion or alcohol.

And whilst candles set a romantic atmosphere, the mood will be ruined if they set light to the surroundings.

Debbie Robinson, deputy community fire safety manager, says: “The number of people using candles and cooking can increase at this time of year, but there’s no bigger turn-off than finding your house on fire - and most fires at home start in the kitchen.”

“If you are cooking, it’s important that you don’t become distracted. We want everyone to have a great time, but don’t put yourself and your Valentine in danger,” she added.

Candle, cooking and smoke alarm advice from Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue:

Candles

Never leave candles unattended, or go to sleep while they are lit

Always use a heat-resistant candleholder, and fit the candle in firmly

Place candles in a draught-free area, away from curtains, furniture and other flammable surfaces

Never place candles directly on televisions or other polished surfaces

Keep candles out of reach of children and pets

Never attempt to move a candle once it is lit

Always use a candle snuffer, or an unturned metal spoon to extinguish the candle and allow it to cool before moving it

Cooking

Don’t leave pans unattended. Take them off the heat if you have to leave the room.

Don’t use matches or lighters to light gas cookers.

Turn saucepan handles so they don’t stick out from the hob or hang over another hot ring.

Take care if you are cooking at night. It’s easy to be careless when you’re tired or if you’ve been drinking

Smoke alarms

Ensure you have a working smoke alarm on each floor of your home to give you an early warning to a fire. Remember to check it once a week to ensure that it is working.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page