THE Skegness RNLI Lifeboat Lincolnshire Poacher was called in to action in the small hours of Wednesday morning (August 22) to assist a yacht crew suffering from fatigue in an eight-hour shout.
Just six hours after a regular exercise Skegness RNLI Lifeboat Lincolnshire Poacher was called to assist the exhausted crew of the 35ft yacht Pandion.
Having sailed from Lowestoft, heading north, the retired husband and wife crew were struggling to make headway and requested help via Yarmouth Coastguard.
The lifeboat crew were paged shortly after 3am and immediately proceeded 17 miles north-east of Skegness to an area near the Inner Dowsing, finally coming alongside the casualty a little over an hour later. RNLI crew were transferred to the yacht and took over from the weary passengers.
After rigging a tow the lifeboat proceeded towards Grimsby arriving shortly after 8.30am and left the yacht at a safe mooring.
The Lincolnshire Poacher headed back south down the coast arriving back at Skegness Central Beach at 10.45am to be washed down and refuelled, ready for service again by 11.55am.
All-weather lifeboat Coxswain, John Irving said although the crew of the yacht were in no immediate danger they did the right thing contacting the coastguard for help.
John said: “It is very easy to get in a state where you become disorientated and the potential is there to get in to some serious difficulty when heavily fatigued, as in this instance.
“When this level of tiredness kicks in mistakes are easily made and accidents often happen. Contacting the coastguard and ask for help was the best thing to do.”
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
- Teachers’ union accuses Skegness Grammar School of financial mismanagement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east