A Skegness man, who twice drove despite being disqualified from driving, has been told he was ‘at risk of going to prison right now’ by Skegness magistrates at a hearing yesterday (Tuesday, July 22).
Christopher Lee Hodgson, 30, a self-employed builder of Glentworth Close, admitted driving while disqualified and without insurance.
Marie Stace, prosecuting, told the court that Hodgson was seen by police driving a white Mercedes van at 4.15pm on July 5 in Sunningdale Drive in Skegness.
She said he had been disqualified from driving in November for aggravated vehicle taking and had been given a community penalty for driving while disqualified in April this year.
Barbara Newman for the Probation Service said that Hodgson was not in breach of his community order and did not need any further intervention from them.
She said the order was due to expire in January 2015.
In mitigation, it was said that Hodgson was originally disqualified under the totting up procedure for six months but he had broken the disqualification when he drove a £4,000 car his partner owned to the railway station to meet a prospective buyer but had been involved in an accident on the way and the car had to be written off.
It was said the disqualification was extended by 12 months because of that.
Mr Bickells, for Hodgson, said that Hodgson used one of his employees to drive him to jobs but on this latest occasion, he had a job in Spilsby and the driver had been unable to come so, rather than let his customer down, Hodgson had decided to drive himself.
The magistrates told Hodgson that he was at risk of going to prison as it was the second time he had broken the disqualification order in a short space of time.
However, they decided to suspend a prison sentence of 12 weeks custody for 12 months and to disqualify him for a further period until April 2015.
“If you drive again you will go straight to prison,” he was told.
He was also fined £350 for having no insurance and was ordered to pay £85 in costs and an £80 victim surcharge.