Monday 9.30am: THE man who died in a skydiving accident at Sibson on Saturday has been named.
Patrick Sandeman, 53, believed to be from London, collided with a 28-year-old from France about 50 feet above the ground, collapsing both their parachutes.
Emergency services went to the airfield shortly after 3.30pm.
The East of England Ambulance Service NHS Trust immediately dispatched two ambulances and a manager to the and requested the Magpas air ambulance attend because of the seriousness of the incident.
A spokeswoman for Magpas, which dispatched its Helimedix team via air ambulance, said: “Sadly, despite all the best efforts of the Helimedix, including advanced level care and attempted resuscitation, a man was pronounced dead at the scene, our thoughts are with his family and friends at this time.”
An ambulance spokeswoman added: “Our sincerest condolences go out to his family and loved ones. We wish the second casualty all the best for a good recovery.”
The Magpas team also sedated and anaesthetised the second man, who suffered severe spinal and lower leg injuries.
They then flew him to Addenbrooke’s Hospital, where on arrival he was in a stable condition.
Mr Sandeman was a partner in Lea & Sandeman, the fine wine merchants.
Jancis Robinson, a wine critic who writes for the Financial Times, paid tribute to him, saying “a very bright light has been extinguished”.
She wrote on her website: “I’m sure I am not alone in having found Patrick one of the most appealing and entertaining characters in the wine business.
“A total ornament to the British wine trade, he was a member of the Sandeman family of port and sherry fame, managing to be devastatingly handsome but not intimidatingly so. Charming but not oleaginous. Well informed but engaging.
“Great company, in a word - and extremely talented in his ability to hand-pick great wines from, particularly, Italy. He occupied a unique place in the world of wine. Our very deepest condolences to his equally delightful wife Katy and their children.”
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
- Teachers’ union accuses Skegness Grammar School of financial mismanagement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east