DCSIMG

Fire service in festive safety tips

Fire Engines on a call out.

Fire Engines on a call out.

Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue has issued safety advice ahead of Christmas.

The service’s ‘Turkey, Tinsel and Tips for a safe Christmas’ was published as it appeals for people to stay safe in their homes over the Christmas period.

According to the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, (ROSPA), around 80,000 people suffer accidents and injuries in their homes.

And you are 50 per cent more likely to die in an accidental house fire during the festive period than any other time of the year. Often these accidents happen while putting up decorations or as a result of faulty fairy lights and unattended candles.

Debbie Robinson, community fire and safety manager at Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue Service said: “Don’t put yourself, your family or friends in danger this Christmas. Our top tips for keeping safe this festive period are test your smoke alarm, have an escape plan, and check your Christmas tree lights.

“A burning Christmas tree can rapidly fill a room with fire and deadly gases, so check your Christmas tree lights carry the British Safety Standard marque.

“If in doubt replace your lights and always replace faulty bulbs. When going to bed or going out for the evening, make sure you turn off and unplug your Christmas tree lights and outdoor festive lights.

“Also, don’t overload sockets. Make sure your electrical sockets aren’t overloaded with too many high voltage plugs - use a surge protected extension cable if necessary.

“And stand by your pan. Kitchens are one of the most likely places in the home for a fire to start, but during Christmas this trend increases significantly.

“With family and friends around, and the alcohol flowing, people can become distracted. Our advice is simple, stay by your cooker when cooking and don’t cook under the influence.

“You should also take care with candles, don’t leave candles unattended, put them in candle holders on a het resistant surface and keep them away from flammable materials like curtains, and away from pets and children.

“When leaving the room, even if it’s just for a moment - make sure you put them out!” they added.

For more tips and advice visit their website.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page