THE daughter of a Skegness woman who overcame cancer, recently teamed up with her best friend to complete a cross channel cycling adventure in aid of other sufferers.
Emma McMahon and Sam Mappin, both aged 20, spent four days cycling from London to Paris during the Bike for Boobs charity event, which raised more than £3,000 for the Mermaid Appeal, helping breast cancer patients.
Emma decided to undertake the challenge after seeing her mum Gill win a battle with cancer and then learning the nurse she visits while studying in Cornwall had also been diagnosed with the disease.
“It feels great knowing we have raised that amount of money; I’m sure it will make a huge difference,” she said.
“The ride went really well, it was incredibly tough - probably the hardest thing I’ve done but it was really rewarding.”
“When we finally arrived in Paris it was an incredible feeling. Everyone got off their bikes and had a group hug.”
Emma and Sam raised more than £600 in sponsorship as a joint effort, which when added to the sums raised by the other six riders, who had each been personally affected by cancer, brought the total to more than £3,000.
Despite struggling with a chest infection towards the end of the ride, Emma remains keen to join in with future fundraising challenges, but not of the two-wheeled variety.
She said: “I don’t think I ever want to cycle again, but I’m looking into the possibility of doing a rowing fundraiser next year.”
After their triumphant arrival at the Eiffel Tower, the two friends were able to soak up a little Parisian culture when they spent two nights staying with locals in the bustling city.
Emma is soon to embark on another adventure when she spends two months busking around 12 UK cities as part of the music theatre degree she is completing at Falmouth Univeristy in Cornwall.
If you would like to donate to the Bike for Boobs event visit www.justgiving.com/laura-syme-londontoparis2012
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
- Teachers’ union accuses Skegness Grammar School of financial mismanagement
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Wednesday 19 June 2013
Temperature: 11 C to 20 C
Wind Speed: 15 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 17 mph
Wind direction: North east