Fire brigade warning

0
Have your say

ATTEMPTS to keep warm could have disastrous results if simple precautions aren’t taken, Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue has warned.

Fire prevention experts say that electric heaters, open fires and microwaveable bags can all spark a blaze.

And it’s easier than you might think for the worst to happen.

Steve Wright, station manager responsible for community safety, said: “It’s easy to take your eye off the ball when you’re relaxing at home, and a fire can start in seconds if precautions aren’t taken.

“Make sure that you don’t put anything too close to open fires or portable heaters; carefully check electrical cables, plugs, and connections; and if you use an open fire or wood burning stove, ensure that you use suitable fuel and have the chimney swept.

“Microwaveable heat bags can be particularly dangerous if you don’t follow the instructions exactly.

“And remember extra heaters that haven’t been used for some time may have deteriorated.”