FRESH calls have been made to reinstate longer opening hours at the Skegness recycling centre after a busy weekend in which traffic queues backed up around the town.
Skegness resident Roman Stachiw was dismayed by the lengthy queues he encountered while attempting to dispose of household waste at the Warth Lane centre on Friday.
He said: “The traffic was coming all the way down Lincoln Road - it’s an accident waiting to happen.
“Some people were that sick and tired of waiting that they’ve emptied their cars and used a wheel barrow to take their rubbish instead. At this time in the season when people are cutting back hedges and looking for somewhere to dispose of their waste, they should have it open like it was before.”
Lincolnshire County Council cut the centre’s opening hours from seven days a week to just four as part of cost-saving measures to achieve a £1.2 million reduction to its annual waste budget.
The changes, which equate to a 58 per cent reduction in opening hours, have been a long-running source of discontent in the town since they began in April.
Skegness Town Council passed a motion urging the county council to reinstate its previous opening hours at its July meeting after councillors feared the reductions had caused ‘absolute chaos’.
The cuts have also been condemned as a cause of increased fly-tipping in the town, after people visiting the centre during its former opening hours left bags of rubbish by the centre’s gates when they discovered them closed.
In June, residents of The Chase, near to the recycling centre, complained that the rubbish left near their homes could cause an infestation.
l Have you experienced problems at the centre? email email@example.com.
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Artists sought for exchange
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West