BEACH-GOERS in Skegness have been advised to protect their feet while paddling in shallow waters to avoid a painful sting.
A seasonal rise in the number of poisonous weever fish has led to a number of nasty stings being reported by coastal visitors.
The Coastguards’ sector manager for Lincolnshire Sam Jessop said: “We are generally alerted to them at low water, as they like to bask in the sunshine just under the sand.
“They are very hard to see and you probably wouldn’t notice them unless you are stung.”
Sam recommends those paddling in the sea wear a pair of water shoes and, if stung, bathe the affected foot in warm water.