Nature certainly took centre stage for a group of primary children who took part in planting ten trees in a Skegness public garden.
The phrase ‘mighty oaks from little acorns grow’ was never more apt as the pupils from Richmond Primary School helped to select the five English Oak, three Holm Oak and two Tulip trees which were planted this morning (Thursday), in Tower Gardens.
Year six pupil Stephanie James, 10, said of the experience: “I think it is very exciting as not everyone has the chance to do something like this.”
And classmate, Jake Chrysostomou, 10, said: “The tree planting was really good, especially the digging part and it’s exciting to do something like this.”
The trees were chosen by the community during a recent consultation exercise run by East Lindsey District Council after a number of trees were removed from the Tower Gardens due to safety concerns, last year.
Trees were chosen from a selection of 13 species with the English Oak, being cast as the community’s favourite, receiving around a quarter of all votes made.
Councillor Tony Bridges, portfolio holder for environment, said: “I’d like to thank everyone who took part in the recent consultation and the students from Richmond Primary School for their help in the planting. Tower Garden is a very popular park and I’m sure the newly planted trees will be enjoyed by the community for many years to come.”
The trees, which will be three to four metres in height, have been planted in various positions around the park.
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: East
Temperature: 12 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 13 mph
Wind direction: South west