A Skegness hotel has been ordered to pay almost £45,000 in fines and costs for exposing its staff to asbestos.
The County Hotel, North Parade, Skegness was successfully prosecuted by East Lindsey District Council after a series of breaches of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
The fine was handed down at Skegness Magistrates’ Court yesterday (Thursday),
The owners of the hotel, UK Holiday Group Ltd, had pleaded guilty to three separate breaches relating to exposure of employees to asbestos.
Since the offences came to light the hotel, situated on Skegness seafront, has carried out extensive work to remove large quantities of high-risk asbestos lagging from boiler tanks and pipe work in its basement.
The council’s Health and Safety Inspector, Rod MacKenzie, said: “Asbestos can pose significant danger to health. Asbestos-related disease kills far more people in the UK than are killed in our roads.
“All businesses have an obligation to know whether their premises contain asbestos and to take appropriate steps to remove or contain any that is identified.
“The simple fact in this case is that because of the hotel’s failure, workers have been put at risk, and face an uncertain future.
“I would urge all business proprietors to make sure they are not exposing staff, customers or themselves to such a potentially dangerous material.”
The hotel was fined £39,000, ordered to pay £5,392 legal costs to the council and a £120 Victim Surcharge for Health and Safety breaches relating to exposure to asbestos.