Polic ein Lincolnshire are delighted after their ongoing hare coursing crackdown began to result in sentences being passed down.
In early December two men from Lancashire were given fines and restraining orders by Skegness Magistrates Court.
Stephen Taylor, 50, from Rochdale, and Kieran Giddings, 55, from Rossendale, were each handed restraining orders banning them from entering any land in Lincolnshire with a dog or dogs until 6th December 2015.
The effect of this three year ban from the county’s land is that any breach will leave them liable to up to five years in prison.
These are just the start of what police promise are many prosecutions being brought by their Operation Galileo team.
At this point, around midway through the Hare Coursing “season”, around 80 people are being prosecuted. The team said it hopes that the impact of restraining orders such as these will be significant, both for the landowners and public of Lincolnshire, as well as potentially for convicted offenders.
Inspector Andy Ham said: “We’d been told that some potential offenders were already staying away, but that other more dedicated hare coursers will continue to come.
“Well the police aren’t going to go away either, and if you do offend here, particularly in contravention of a restraining order, there are going to be some real consequences for you.”
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Artists sought for exchange
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West