l ASHBY BY PARTNEY - The church built of red brick 1841 is dedicated to St Helen. The Wesleyan Chapel was built in 1885.
* CANDLESBY - Situated on the A158 between Partney and Skegness, Candlesby is mentioned in William the Conqueror's Domesday survey of 1086.
The church of St Benedict was built in 1838 by E. D. Rainey of Spilsby.
* EAST KEAL - This pretty village dates back to Saxon times and is very much a farming area.
There are magnificent views from the top of the hill and on a clear day one can see a number of parish churches as well as Boston Stump some 20 miles away.
* EAST KIRKBY - Famous for its Aviation Heritage Centre, East Kirkby, was the base for the Lincolnshire Bomber Command during the Second World War.
From 1950-1954 American airmen were based at East Kirkby.
The once thriving windmill is now derelict.
* FIRSBY - Travel through Firsby today and there is little evidence of the railway station which closed in 1970, but many people will remember the familiar sound of 'Over the bridge for Skegness'.
* GREAT STEEPING - The once navigable river Lymn, known as the Steeping river, flows through the village.
The Heavy Horse Centre, Airfield monument and Monksthorpe Baptist Chapel are located at Great Steeping and are mentioned in detail elsewhere in the Companion.
* GUNBY - At Gunby you will find Gunby Hall which has extensive gardens which are open to the public at certain times of the year. The hall is mentioned in more detail in the Companion.
* HAGWORTHINGHAM - The picturesque Stockwith Mill is said to have been the inspiration for two of Tennyson's poems, The Brook and The Miller's Daughter. The mill is situated close to Somersby, Tennyson's birth place.
* HALTON HOLEGATE - The Church of St Andrews dates from the 13th century and is constructed in the traditional green stone of the area
Like most towns and villages Halton Holegate had its own windmill built in 1814 on the site of a post mill.
It ceased working in the 1940s and two of the sails were taken to Wrawby windmill.
* HUNDLEBY - The former Gables hospital was originally a workhouse built in 1838.
The village also had its own brewery.
A series of footpaths, including the Franklin Way, connects up to surrounding villages
* LITTLE STEEPING - A village of some 200 inhabitants, Little Steeping is one of five parishes represented by the Firsby Group of Parish Councils.
The church of St Andrews is one of ten which comprise the Spilsby Group of Parishes.
The old school has been converted into a village hall.
* LUSBY - There is a peaceful tranquility about this picturesque village with its attractive water pump and Victorian wall box.
The Anglo Saxon church is dedicated to St Peter. The Methodist church was rebuilt and enlarged in 1842.
FOR NEXT PAGE CLICK ON "NEXT"* MAVIS ENDERBY - The Mavis Enderby Lych gate has an interesting text In Loving Memory of Isabel M Ward At rest 17 February 1927 Blessed are the dead which die in the Lord for they rest from their labours.
* MININGSBY - The post box in Miningsby is
remarkable because it was installed during the reign of Edward VII.
* MONKSTHORPE - This small village is the home of Monksthorpe Chapel, which is mentioned in more detail on page five.
* OLD BOLINGBROKE - The name Bolingbroke originated in the Anglo Saxon era in the fifth and sixth centuries.
It means the brook of the people of Bulla.
The brook referred to flows through the village to the east of the castle.
* PARTNEY - During the building of the Partney bypass, which began last year, the remains of 44 Benedictine monks were found on the site of the Chapel of St Mary Magdalen.
Partney nearly became a lost village at the time of the Black Death and it is understood Partney House was the only one to escape the plague.
Captain Matthew Flinders, explorer and cousin of Sir John Franklin, was married in the church of St Nicholas.
A rock in the church grounds commemorates the efforts of Flinders and Franklin in giving Lincolnshire names to 20 locations in Australia.
* RAITHBY BY SPILSBY - One of the oldest buildings is the Red Lion whose origins go back to the 16th century.
Raithby is historically connected with John Wesley, founder of Methodism. The Wesley Chapel built for him during his ministry is situated within the stables of Raithby Hall
Holy Trinity Church is noted for its finely painted chancellery.
FOR THE NEXT PAGE CLICK ON "NEXT"* SKENDLEBY - The results of the famous its Giant Hills excavation were published in 1936. The dig revealed the most perfect c200ft Neolithic long barrow yet excavated in England.
The grassy mounds are visible from the car park of the Blacksmiths Arms.
* TOYNTON ALL SAINTS - The church was restored in the early 1900s, and parts of the interior date back to the 14th century.
Toynton Hall, built in 1908, was for many years the HQ for the Spilsby Rural District Council, the largest rural council in Lincolnshire, which ended in 1974 following government re-organisation.
It is now a college administered by the Linkage Trust to provide further education for school leavers with disabilities.
* TOYNTON ST PETER - The church has what is believed to be a Saxon cross in front of the west end church door.
* WEST KEAL - The village is dominated by the 12th century church of St Helens.
There are some splendid gargoyles on the exterior and in the porch, and the interior features some unusual carvings of animal and human heads.
The list of rectors dates back to 1186 and there is also mention of a parishioner Elizabeth Shaw who died in 1800 aged 117.
* LANGTON BY SPILSBY - The famous writer Dr Samuel Johnson came to the village during the 18th century, to visit his lifelong friend Bennet Langton.
The Langton's were an ancient family whose ancestral estate was at Langton Hall.
There are a few surviving mud and stud cottages in the village.