Caravan owners urged to take fire safety steps after Ingoldmells blaze

0
Have your say

Lincolnshire Fire & Rescue has urged caravanners not to underestimate the dangers of fire following an incident at an Ingoldmells site last week.

The call comes after Skegness crews attended a caravan fire caused by a faulty heater on Sea Lane last Wednesday, which took two hoses to extinguish.

And, with Easter nearing, and caravanners all set to flock to the coast, the fire brigade have urged all holidaymakers and campers in the area to take the dangers seriously.

Paul Howes, fire protection officer at Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue, said: “Skegness has the largest concentration of caravans per square mile in Europe.

“And with more than 20,000 caravans being used for holidays, weekend breaks and as permanent residences in the area, it is no surprise that accidental fires happen.

“As a fire in a caravan or mobile home is nine times more likely to lead to death or injury than in a house, it is important that people are aware on how to avoid being in such situations.”

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue has listed a number of tips to stay safe. You should park vans at least six metres apart, never use barbecues inside a caravan or awning and ensure you have a working smoke alarm fitted. They also urged that you should never leave cooking appliances unattended, don’t leave children alone in caravans and don’t smoke in bed.

Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue is encouraging all caravanners and campers to think P-A-T:

- P: Phone: Know where the nearest phone point is.

- A: Arrangements: Know what the fire safety arrangements are on the campsite.

- T: Torch: Have a torch by the door.

For more information or advice on caravan fire safety, contact Lincolnshire Fire and Rescue on 01754 898980.