Council’s compulsory purcahse plan for fire-ravaged Skegness site

0
Have your say

EAST Lindsey District Council has today announced it is actively considering compulsory purchase powers to bring a prominent site on Skegness seafront back into use for the economic benefit of Skegness and the surrounding area.

Four years ago today (Wednesday) fire tore a hole in buildings on Grand Parade, destroying a complex of bars, nightclubs and amusement arcades. At its peak 75 fire-fighters tackled the blaze.

The site was split into two ownerships and, whilst half the site has been redeveloped, half remains empty, despite the district council granting planning permission for a new development in February 2010.

The development approved was a four story leisure complex, with ice rink, food hall and bars.

Portfolio Holder for Planning and Economic Development, Councillor Craig Leyland, said the time ”had come” for something to be done.

“This ongoing saga needs a conclusion for the benefit of Skegness,” he said. “We granted planning permission for the vacant site to be redeveloped and if work doesn’t begin we will consider CPO proceedings.

“As the site stands currently, it is no use to anyone. We need new businesses and jobs in Skegness and this site can help deliver that.”

A Compulsory Purchase can take up to 18 months to complete but the council said its preference was still for the site’s owner to enact the planning permission that had been granted.