Management of a halal abattoir say they wish to thank a BNP leader for the attention brought by their party, as meat orders are on the up worldwide.
The slaughter house, based in Heath Road, Skegness, has roused mixed opinions among the community but business has improved thanks to details about its opening being posted on many websites across the internet.
Mr Patel, part management of Premier Halal Ltd, who did not wish to give his first name, said the site had been open about a month and it was trading, with local staff from the area employed.
“I want to thank Nick Griffin, the abattoir has been advertised on lots of meat websites and this has improved business. We have had meat orders from Poland and Germany,” said Mr Patel.
He made the remarks after the British National Party announced plans for another day of action over the issue.
Arranged by the party’s Lincolnshire Coastal Branch, the event will take place on Saturday, January 12, starting at 11.30am.
A spokesperson for the BNP’s Lincolnshire Coastal branch said it was getting dozens of calls from the Skegness area with concerns regarding the site and animal welfare.
“The meet-up will act as place where people can get answers, gain leaflets and talk to other people with concerns,” said a spokesperson.
“I think people feel, they don’t know who to come to and this will give them the chance to voice opinions and make up their own minds,” they added.
BNP leader Nick Griffin, who has spoken on the matter, is also set to revisit the town in the spring, according to a spokesperson.
The latest move by the BNP follow months of controversy over the issue.
In the months running up to its opening, a string of political groups campaigned against the slaughterhouse, including the far-right National Front who marched in the area in September. BNP party leader, Nick Griffin MEP also visited the area in October to offer his voice.
A Facebook group entitled ‘Say No to halal slaughter in Skegness’ was also set up in August.
- UPDATED: Suspected ‘armed robbery’ with ‘gun’ sparks police ‘firearms response’ at The Money Shop in Skegness
- UPDATE: Police release CCTV image of man wanted in connection with attempted ‘armed robbery’ in Skegness, man searched in Lidl is NOT connected to the crime police confirm
- UPDATE: Business owner heard someone thought to be ‘robbing’ the Money Shop in Skegness
- Man caught staring at female dog walker while he performed ‘indecent act’ in Skegness
- Man arrested and interviewed in connection with attempted robbery in Skegness
- NHS urges norovirus sufferers to stay away from Skegness Hospital
- ‘Kitchen knife’ found in Butlins bar after alleged ‘attack’
- Artists sought for exchange
- Skegness Scooter Rally leaves town buzzing
- Nottinghamshire sexsomniac cleared of raping 21-year-old at Butlin’s, Ingoldmells, in one of the first cases of its kind
Search for a job
Search for a car
Search for a house
Weather for Skegness
Thursday 20 June 2013
Temperature: 12 C to 16 C
Wind Speed: 18 mph
Wind direction: North east
Temperature: 11 C to 18 C
Wind Speed: 14 mph
Wind direction: West