Blaze sparks generosity

General News.
General News.
0
Have your say

The occupants of a rented flat recently gutted by fire in Winthorpe have thanked the generosity of the local community after they rallied round to offer support.

The flat, on Winthorpe Avenue, Winthorpe, caught fire on Friday, August 23 after clothes in a tumble dryer combusted.

Four fire engines responded to the call, but the blaze still managed to cause severe damage by fire to 50 percent of the kitchen and 100 per cent by smoke.
 as well as 100 percent damage by smoke to the adjoining bedroom of the first storey flat.

Lisa Muir and her partner Steven Paterson were luckily alerted to the blaze by their puppy, Fudge, who woke the sleeping couple up to allow them to escape.

Unfortunately, despite a swift response from firefighters, by the time they arrived, the bedroom and kitchen of the flat, specifically, had already been severely damaged, meaning that the couple were left without items such as clothes and kitchen equipment.

However, to the couple’s delight, they were astonished by the response of the local community.

After hearing of their plight, often via social networking sites operating in and around Skegness, Winthorpe, Ingoldmells and Chapel, local businesses, neighbours and strangers all offered to help.

Since the fire, Lisa and her partner have been offered a free stay in a caravan, courtesy of J Butlins caravans, Sealands caravan site have offered free bedding and Rixon Leisure have offered a toaster, plates and other kitchen utensils - to name just a few of the helpful businesses.

Other kind samaritans have also offered clothing. One lady from a few doors down brought a microwave for the couple to use and even looked after the couple’s puppy while firemen were putting out the blaze.

Other neighbours of theirs, such as Hannah and Beth, gave them a room for the night and allowed them to use their facilities and the couple have also been humbled by the help of total strangers.

Lisa said: “We would just like to say thank you to everyone for the community spirit shown to us.

“Much of the flat is gutted, however lots of people have helped and it could have been a whole lot worse!”